Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Maybe we need to show him Star Wars

The other day, Sloan came walking into the living room, Tia trailing quick at his heels. He grasped in his hand his new Light Saber, which he got as an early Christmas gift from his cousins over Thanksgiving. For some reason he is obsessively into Star Wars, which is a mystery to me because he's never actually seen any of the movies. It's not that we don't want him to watch them, it's just that I don't really know that he'll enjoy the movies all that much given the fact that they are a little slow and, well, boring.

Somewhere out there, I know there's a group of Star Wars addicts who are putting some voodoo intergalactic hex on me. Sorry, I just never really got it with those movies. Anyway, moving on. Sloan rounded the corner and held his sword up proudly.

"Mom," he announced, "I am Darth Vader."

"Oh," I murmered trying to sound impressed.

"Yeah, and Tia is my girlfriend. Her name is Melissa."

At this point I look up, my eyebrows raised, trying to figure out how in the world I should respond to this.

"Wow, Melissa huh?" I said.

"Yep, she's my girlfriend Melissa." Turning to Tia, he throws his arms out wide and she ducks slightly to avoid being whacked across the head with a light saber.

"Melissa," he exclaims loudly, "Bow down to me!"

Tia just stares at him.

"Bow down to me!" he repeats. And still Tia does not move.

"Tia, you're supposed to bow down to me. I'm Darth Vader."

"Uh-uh, Hol (Sloan)," Tia responds indignantly.

Turning to me Sloan throws his light saber down. "Mom, Tia is my girlfriend Melissa and she won't bow down to me."

Honestly, I had no response so I stood there silently for a minute before saying, "Okay, who wants a snack?"

I think it's time we showed him the movies...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that hex is coming from our house!

the jameses let us borrow their movies, and the boys were HOOKED. even bennett. i think sloan will love them.

it was great boy bonding time around here watching the movies. and i actually liked the old trilogy but haven't seen the new one...but i'd better watch all of them soon that i can have a decent conversation with the boys about the stories. it is going to be a VERY star wars christmas around here.

Anonymous said...

Maybe someone could explain that "girlfriend" and "bow down" don't really go together in the same sentence. Well, maybe in Darth's world they do. Gotta love Tia's reaction though. :D

Richard and Candy said...

Maybe it's time to watch Star Wars. I think that is a great dad and son bonding movie! We all know that Tia Rose is not going to bow down to anyone...ever! I can just see the look on her face. Has she said Byshka anymore? That was a surprise. Wish you were here.
Mom

The Original 2 Prices said...

Kelli, this is kind of an important detail- sisters can not be girlfriends (contrary to popular belief here in SC, and I'm pretty sure it's illegal in Missouri too). We've had to tell Sam (sadly) that he can't marry his aunt Heidi for the same fundamental problems. As far as the Star Wars phenomenon- it's the same in our house- Sam has never seen the movie, but seems to know more about it than I do! How did that happen, and is this a scary sign of things to come?

Anonymous said...

I love Tia's reaction... She will be a bold young lady. What about Star Wars, I don't actually understand them. They seem so long and boring to me. But Vova watched all the parts and likes them. Maybe they are to men's liking, so Sloan may find them great and he can watch them with Lee. Watching Star Wars can become their male tradition.
And I see that Sloan is very good at role playing. That's super great!