Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Church Triumphant

*Sorry, this post is a little long.*
So I got a CD I ordered in the mail yesterday and I am THRILLED! It's the TRUTH 25th Anniversary album, which is my all time favorite CD. I lost it several months ago and have been so bummed because it's out of print and is nowhere to be found...or so I thought. After some stealth internet searching, I finally found a website that sells old, out of print music and low and behold, they had my CD! Today, I gladly popped it into the CD player and sighed with contentment. I love this CD for several reasons. First, it takes me back to my college days as the first two songs are songs that I sang 500 hundred times with a travelling group I was in at Baylor. As I hear those notes, I remember the days that were filled with so much fun as we travelled all over Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and, well, the world, singing and performing. We went to Spain, British Columbia and Taiwan on two week long tours and I've never had so much fun in my life. Second, the singing on this CD is just phenomenal. Finally, the words of the songs are so powerful. They are deep and filled with such meaning. It's just great music. Anyway, while driving Sloan to speech therapy, a song called The Church Triumphant came on. This song was never really of my favorites for some reason. I tended to skip over it, but today I really listened to it and I got chills. What a powerful song! By the time it was over, I had tears in my eyes and was blinking profusely (can you blink profusely?) so I wouldn't drive off the road. Sometimes I get so discouraged as a believer. I feel like there are so many people out there who are led astray by people claiming to know Christ, but who are indeed spreading lies. I get discouraged by the many religious leaders who fall so publicly due to blinding sin and therefore make a mockery out of the faith that I hold so dear. I feel like so many people misunderstand Christianity because of groups like the one that protests the funerals of fallen war heroes. These radical people who are entrenched in hateful slander and are anything but loving. My point in this post is not to preach. I just share how I was encouraged today. I was reminded that the Church, God's Church, is still alive and well, despite those who have tried to destroy it. Here are the words of the song. Roger Breland, the founder of TRUTH is speaking these words while the singers are in the background. Just reading it doesn't do it justice. You should buy the album to really get the effect! I just checked the site and they are currently sold out but keep checking if you're interested to see if you can get a copy. Anyway, I hope you are blessed by these words:

"God has always had a people. Many a foolish conquerer has made the mistake of thinking that because he has forced the Church of Jesus Christ out that he has stilled its voice and snuffed out it's life, but God has alwasy had a people. The powerful current of a rushing river cannot be diminished because it is forced to flow underground. The purest waters are the stream that's burst crystal clear into the sunlight after it's fought it's way through solid rock. There have been charliatains (sp?) who, like Simon the Magician, sought to barter on the open market that power which cannot be bought or sold, but God has always had a people. Men who could not be bought and women who were beyond purchase. Yes, God has always had a people. There have been times of affluence and prosperity when the Church's message has been nearly diluted into oblivion by those who sought to make it solcially attractive, neatly organized and financially profitable. It has been gold plated, clothed in purple and crusted with jewels. It has been misrepresented, ridiculed, lauded and scorned. These followers of Jesus Christ have been, according to the whim of the times, elevated as sacred leaders and matyred as heretics. Yet through it all there marches on that powerful army of the peak. God's chosen people that cannot be bought, flattered, murdered or stilled. On through the ages they march - the Church, God's Church Triumphant, alive and well. Now listen child of God, it's alive. Discouraged pastor, it's His Church and it's alive. Lonely missionary, sow the seed with confidence. It's alive my broken hearted friend. Old saint, you're not alone and forgotten, the Church is alive. Busy lover, cast your cares on Jesus. It's alive young student, you're not alone in serving the Lord. Faithful father, there's rest in the Lord and the Church is alive. Cynical skeptic, you haven't killed God with your noisy unbelief, He's alive. So family of God, raise your hands and praise the Lord for the Church, God's Church Triumphant, is alive and well!"

2 comments:

heartheldhigh said...

Amen, Kelli! That is beautiful.

Becke' said...

1997 CD album...now you are telling our age!!