Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

Lee and I rang in the New Year in style last night. Every year, we have the same group of friends over to our house and enjoy some good fellowship and food. This year, however, for some reason it just fell through. People got sick, they couldn't find sitters, etc... So Lee and I found ourselves with a babysitter and nothing to do. I posted our dilemma on twitter, an online social media tool that I am falling in love with, and within a few minutes I had a couple of suggestions and invites to different happenings around town. Lee and I decided to go to Cicero's in The Loop to hear Fundamental Elements play. This is something very different for us as we are generally a couple of old fogies who don't partake of the hip St. Louis scene.

It was really fun! We got dressed up and we didn't leave the house until almost 8:00. There were three different bands playing, but we really only wanted to see FE because we go to church with Joe and Kelli. They were awesome! If you ever get a chance to go see one of their shows, do it. Every one of those guys is wildly talented, but I was especially impressed with the bass player who's fingers were moving so fast that I'm pretty sure I saw smoke.

Right after midnight, the DJ put on the song, "Livin' on a Prayer." The girl standing next to Lee, who we learned earlier was only 27, didn't. know. the. song. Lee came home feeling very old. Once she heard the chorus she did realize that she'd heard it before, but that didn't comfort him much. It was hilarious to watch the entire bar singing Bon Jovi at the top of their lungs. What a way to start 2009.

2008 was a blessed year for us and I have no regrets as I close it out. It was a trying year with the transition to three kids, but we have so many things to be thankful for. It is a year for me to build an alter of remembrance for so I can look back and remember how God walked us through the challenges and reigned blessings down upon us. I look forward to 2009 and what it may bring. Hope you all had a wonderful New Year.

As we got ready to leave the house, I wanted a picture so Sloan took one of Lee and I, then he wanted a picture with me because he said I looked beautiful. Sweet, sweet boy.

10 comments:

blessedpath said...

Okay, i have some good news for Lee. Chase LOVES Livin on a prayer and knows all the words by heart!! it is fun to sing with him a song from "my era". He likes to pull it up on you tube and see the words (that's how he learned them) and sings it over and over and over! How fun, you actually went OUT, out for New years. How impressive!! My friend, Susan, always goes to the loop etc to hear some amazing music, but Mike and I never venture out.....WE ARE old fogies!! You looked very pretty for your hot date out. Glad you had fun, here's to a great 2009!! We are so thankful your family is in our lives!!

Svetlana said...

Kelli, you ARE beautiful. And you know, you have something Slavic in your appearance. A great way for New year party!
Happy New Year! May it be another blessful year in your life.

blessedpath said...

Oh, yeah, did you wear your new heels out on the date????

Three Against One said...

Happy New Year, sounds like you and Lee rang in the new year in style. We are so fortunate to have you as neighbors and friends.

Anonymous said...

so glad you got to hear FE...aren't they great? it's one of our favorite ways to spend a date night! last time we were at cicero's we realized that matt was twice the age of some of the kids there (since you only have to be 16 or 17 to get in some shows).

and, seriously??? who doesn't know livin' on a prayer? my 21 y.o. sister knows all the words!

Kelli said...

No, my dress did not go with the new heels, much to Lee's chagrin. But I'm glad because my feet and my back could not have handled all the shimmying I did in those massive heels. And, Nicole, I believe that this girl had a rather sheltered upbringing, which may have contributed to the lack of knowledge of the song. We all got a good laugh out of it - even her, poor girl. But Lee still felt very old...and he's still talking about it today.

Lisa said...

You guys look SO cute together.

(You and your little man as well as you and your little one!)

Lisa said...

Ps. Am loving the dress. where did you get it?

heartheldhigh said...

Hi Kelli! I have had so much fun catching up on your blogs. I'm so glad you had a good New Year's. Jonathan and I did too. We had a movie night. We could have gone to a party with church friends, but it didn't start until 8:00 and I thought that was too much to ask of my tired little boy. We are enjoying the first few days of 2009 and hope you are too. You're kids are growing so much, and like you, are truly beautiful. Blessings!

Steph R. said...

okay
who was the babysitter?
and what did you do sat?
hehe